People tend to be looking for an answer to relax and calm themselves now more than ever. Meditation is not a new practice, but many people have added it into their routines as a way to stay calm during the pandemic. For those of you who have read some of my previous posts, the wim hof method has become an emerging style of meditation that provides many health benefits to it.
From the Wim Hof Website, some of the most significant health benefits include;
- Stress reduction
- Faster recovery from physical exertion
- Better sleep
- Improved sports performance
- Enhanced creativity
- More focus and mental clarity
These and a few others are the reason that I have become a full supporter of this style of meditation.
Relax, I’ll Explain the Wim Hof Method.
#1 – The Wim Hof Method starts by getting comfortable and to make sure you relax. Sit in a chair, couch, lie on the ground, however you can fully relax. Personally, I like to lay on the ground since I am most calm in that position. You will then take 30-40 deeps breaths in.
#2 – Take a FULL Breath In, and LET GO.
DON’T Breathe out all of the air. (the goal is to intake as much oxygen as possible, without forcing an out breath)
Then, on the breath rep @ 30, exhale, AND HOLD Without Taking Another Breath In.
The second you feel like you want to breath again, take a full deep breath in, and hold for 15 seconds. That Was 1 Round.
You will repeat this for 2-3 more rounds. I have found that 3 rounds is MORE than enough to get myself to relax in a deep alkalized state. You may find that you are in a deeper state of relaxation than you have ever been before in your life.
Here’s a video to explain:
Through the video, he talks about by taking deeper breaths, we are able to pump more blood into the body, increase our mental state, and be able to relax more. Not only has this been proven, 100,000+ members are advocates of this method.
What Is The Wim Hof Method.
Imagine if you could completely transform your mental state and get into a deeper state than you could ever be with traditional meditation? How would you feel?
Imagine if, by doing this meditation practice, you perform better at work or in sporting events. And therefore, you get a promotion or become captain of the team? How would you react?
Imagine if, by trying out this method for only 1 month, it would change your life. Would you be willing to try it?
Now by no means am I telling you that you have to do it. BUT, studies have shown significant health benefits to the body after this type of practice.
Take A Cold Shower To Add Extra Layers Of Relaxation
After your meditation practice, go into the shower, turn the water to the coldest it can get, and really, really, focus on taking full deep breaths. This will warm up your body and take your mind away from the fact that it might be cold. Just remember, in the shower, you are in control!
The Benefits Of A Cold Shower According To The Wim Hof Website Include;
- Reduced stress levels. Regularly taking cold showers imposes a small amount of stress on your body, which leads to a process called hardening. This means that your nervous system gradually gets used to handling moderate levels of stress. The hardening process helps you to keep a cool head, the next time you find yourself in a stressful situation.
- Higher level of alertness. Cold showers wake your body up, inducing a higher state of alertness. The cold also stimulates you to take deeper breaths, decreasing the level of CO2 throughout the body, helping you concentrate. Cold showers thus keep you ready and focused throughout the day.
- More robust immune response. Scientific studies have found that taking a cold shower increases the amount of white blood cells in your body. These blood cells protect your body against diseases. Researchers believe that this process is related to an increased metabolic rate, which stimulates the immune response.
- Increased willpower. It takes a strong mind to endure the cold for extended periods of time. By incorporating cold showers into your daily routine, you are strengthening your willpower, which benefits many aspects of (your) daily life.
- Weight loss. Research has shown that cold showers (and exposure to cold in general), in addition to increasing metabolic rate directly, stimulate the generation of brown fat. Brown fat is a specific type of fat tissue that in turn generates energy by burning calories. Cold showers, then, are an effective tool for people who are looking to lose a few pounds.
While you should take cold showers after your meditation, some people take them right before they meditate, it is up to you. However, the shower serves as the cherry on top of your experience. If this might seem overwhelming at first, try it with hot water and the final 30 seconds switch to cold and see how that makes you feel. Remember, you are in control!
Stretching To Relax Using The Wim Hof Breathing Method
This one can vary based on the purpose of your stretch! For me, I sometimes have a lot of lower back pain so doing these stretches help me out a ton.
Basically all you do is before you go into your stretch as you would normally do, take a few (5-10) very deep heavy breaths, hold it, and then go into the stretch. Again, go until you feel the need to breathe, then let go and you will find you can stretch much deeper than you did when you first began.
As a result, That would be 1 round. Repeat this 2-3 more times per stretch and you will be able to get a much much deeper stretch than you could without the method. I made a video here to explain this in more detail.
Simply put, this method has many benefits which, if applied properly, can enhance the experience of any one trying this out.
One last thing I love about the Wim Hof Method is that the effects are almost immediately visible. And Unlike traditional meditation, it might take a few weeks or months to notice the effects and benefits of it.
Within the first 3 sessions you should definitely be able to notice the changes to your day to day activities.
Stretching To Relax Using The Wim Hof Breathing Method Continued
Just Imagine if you could relax faster, and therefore, more efficiently than other methods. Do not take my word for it, try it for yourself! Let us know how if felt down below in the comments!
Disclosure, I am not responsible for any injuries that results from this method. That being said, please do not perform this practice while operating heavy machinery or any body of water as serious injury or death might occur. Just please proceed with caution. Love you and be safe!
Thanks for reading and stay amazing!